Wednesday, March 21, 2012

3 year anniversary of 2009 shootings of Oakland police officers

It has been three years now since my friend Dan and three of his fellow officers were shot and killed by a convicted felon with a semi-automatic handgun and an SKS rifle.  I am still at a loss for words.

Every year, 30,000 Americans are killed by firearms.  This includes homicides, suicides, and accidental shootings.  Since the 2009 incident, there have been scores of mass shootings, including the Tucson shooting that critically injured U.S. Representative Gabby Giffords (and killed six, including a federal judge).  Nevertheless, there has been no discussion about gun control.  Nothing about high capacity magazines.  Nothing about preventing the mentally ill from obtaining and keeping firearms.  Absolutely nothing.

Americans have the right to own firearms for protection and sport, but the wholesale capitulation on the issue of gun control to the NRA and the firearms industry is both mind-boggling and sad.  To find out more about the issue, go to the Brady Center website.

Here is Metallica's Enter Sandman.  I'm not sure if this was Dan's favorite song, but he played it often, and he played it loudly.  R.I.P.

2 comments:

Alan said...

I'm sincerely sorry about the loss of your friend.

My opinion of gun control differs from that of most of my political persuasion - I agree we should be allowed to own them for sport and defense but there need to be much stricter controls put in place.

I wonder what kind of terrible thing will have to happen in order for our representatives to re-think the current free-for-all gun culture.

Maxichamp said...

@Shamwow: I really thought that when a Congresswoman and a federal judge were shot, there would finally be an uproar about gun control. I was wrong.