Thursday, February 09, 2012

Which Mercedes CLR to buy?

Ebay France has two versions available.  Please weigh in, especially if you have experience building models.

1. Spark 1/43.  70 euros.  It is already assembled.  The question is whether it comes with stickers/decals.  I really want the car to have #5 on it to denote that it was raced by Heidfeld.  It may not have stickers.  And even if it does, what's to say that it just comes with the #4 set or the #6 set instead?


2. Provence Moulage 1/43.  59 euros.  This is much more challenging, but it comes with #4, #5, and #6 stickers.  I tried building model planes and cars as a kid.  I just didn't have the fine motor skills, patience, or the tools.  If I want to do a half way decent job on this car, do I need a sprayer, X-Acto knife, etc., etc.?




Look what this Japanese chap was able to do!

4 comments:

Alan said...

$59 is ridiculous for a few small, unfinished pieces of plastic.

Buy the pre-finished model, and have the decals made or painted on professionally. It looks better from the factory than even a really finely finished kit would. When you factor in modeling putty, sandpaper, knives, brushes, airbrush gun and your time, you'll save a lot of money.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Are there people who will affix the stickers for me for a fee? Who? Where?

MattC said...

I would suggest to take it to a nearby hobby shop. They will have the expertise to help you.

Alan said...

Maxilane,

Sorry - I didn't mean to get your hopes up. I don't know of any services like that, I meant to look around. MattC seems to have the right idea.