Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Four car books

You're gonna dig this.

The island of Kauai (population 65,689), according to Yelp, only has two bookstores.  One sells Christian books.  Another, in the town of Hanapepe (population 2,153), sells used books.  Guess where I got these four?

1. Future Classics (1991)

I question the wisdom of choosing the Toyota Supra Mark III and the Ford Thunderbird SC.

 2. A World of Wheels 

3. The Saab-Scania Story.  This contains detailed drawings, period photos, and lots of trivia about every jet, truck, and car ever made.




4. Mercedes-Benz Production Models Book.  This book dedicates two pages to every model/version made over 40 years.

This is for Lucas.


This is for rchen.


Though these books put my luggage home over the 25 pound limit, the well-manicured Hawaiian Airlines counter agent gave me a pass.  The contents of these books should inspire a few blog posts, at least.

5 comments:

Edvin said...

Nice find. I had a light blue Saab 9000 Turbo exactly like the one in the Scania book.

Alan said...

My wife and I honeymooned on Kauai in 2003 - it was heaven on earth.

That Saab book looks incredible, I can easily imagine losing myself in that for 4 hours at a time.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: 2 thoughts. 1) Whoever designed the cover for the Saab book should be fired. 2) Someone on Kauai has really weird taste in cars/car books.

MattC said...

Great find. I also had a Saab 9000 I bought it used for $2500 and 2 years later sold it for $2500 (due to an impending move). I loved that car and should have kept it. However, I take solice in the fact that car went to another Saab fanatic.

Lukas said...

Cheers bigears.