Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Summer 2011 Preview

Highway 50.  Source.

It was 90 degrees today (32 C), so summer is almost here.  Here are the auto related things/places I'm going to do/see.

If I'm really lucky and end up visiting the South, I want to do the following:
  • Panoz factory tour.
  • BMW factory and museum tour in Spartanburg.
  • Microcar Museum.
If any of you have ideas or tips about other car related events (preferably in California), let me know!  Of course, I will share my pictures and thoughts here.

7 comments:

Peter Secor said...

Hwy 50 is beautiful, make sure to get your book stamped at each town and you can send it in to receive a "I survived the loneliest road in America" certificate. Also, along the way on the north side is a big tree full of shoes for some reason, I haven't been able to figure out why.

Alan said...

Lemme know when you're headed to C&C, I make the trip up with some gearhead friends frequently.

Maxichamp said...

@Alan: Do you know where I can find a schedule?

Alan said...

It happens pretty much all summer. Show up around 6:30AM and stick around till about 8:30 to watch the cars leave - the cop keeping guard is pretty cool about letting the exotics do a bit of wheelspin and hard acceleration up to a point.

Hope to see you there, let me know when you're gonna go.

Alan said...

Oh, on Saturdays.

F1Outsider said...

I love the highways of the west. I drove through Monument Valley in Utah last year. I had waited years to be able to do so. Unfortunately it was in a Toyota Corolla and not a bad ass classic caddy as I had always envisioned.

If you get a decent rental in Spartanburg you may want to make the 3 hour (according to google maps) trip over to Tail of Dragon in Tennessee.

Maxichamp said...

@F1O: If I can get a good deal on a V8 rental (like a Mustang or Camaro or dare I dream a Caddy), I may use that on Highway 50.

Any thoughts on this weekend in Turkey? Pirelli is saying 4 stops may be needed. Plus, it may rain.