Sunday, February 21, 2010

Volvo P1900 Sport: The Other Volvo Convertible

Wha...? That was my reaction this morning when I read about the P1900 in my Sunday paper.


It's a Volvo P1900. During a trip to America in 1953, the co-founder of Volvo was impressed with little roadsters with fiberglass tubs, like the Chevy Corvette. So he talked to the guys at Glasspar in Costa Mesa (a town just a few freeway exits away from the Mercedes Benz Classic Center) and asked them to design and build a body for Volvo.


What resulted was the P1900. Less than 70 were built in 1956 and 1957. Poor build quality and the lack of torsional rigidity were the culprits. Most ended up in Sweden or the States.


Most of the parts came from the PV444. A 3-speed was mated to a 1.4 liter engine capable of producing 70 hp.





1 comment:

longrooffan said...

Hey there...I saw one of these at the 2008 Winter Park (FL) Concours...prior to that I never knew these existed...

BTW, a while back you commented on my By The Numbers blog about the mechanics needed to work on my Dad's DS21....a Vietnamese refugee in the mid 70's...
and my brother's Spitfire...he learned alot about Lucas Electronics real quick...

By the way...find the olelongrooffan from by the numbers at longrooffan at aol for direct contact...

Keep this cool blog going and thanks for sharing your cool stuff...

John