Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Verdict On the Qvale Mangusta: Fugly, Italian

Last week's post about the Qvale Mangusta prompted me to conduct a survey of people who are not into cars. I showed them pictures of the Qvale. Question 1: What is it? Question 2: What do you think about it? I asked three people. Here are their responses:

What is it? An Alfa Romeo. A Maserati. A Ferrari. Well, at least they all thought it was Italian.
What do you think about it? I don't like the grill. It's really ugly. It's fugly and reminds me of a mole.

Update 1: This ain't Florida, but I'm counting a late ballot. This straggler thinks the car is a BMW or Porsche and thinks it's cute!

Here is an old Motorweek review of the Mangusta. Sorry about the quality. Skip to 3:20 to see the cool top.

2 comments:

F1 Outsider said...

It would actually be a handsome car were it not for the headlights and tailights. The styling seems to be inspired on the Alfa Romeo Spider of the same vintage, which for us in the US is not a bad thing since we can't legally have the Alfa Romeo.

From quick Wikipedia research it looks like the platform was sold to MG Rover Group, which used it to build the MG XPower SV. It's a more modern design, maybe even a bit over the top for such a small car. Makes me think of a boy racer Audi TT in some ways.

Maxichamp said...

^ +1.