Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Obama Bumper Sticker Is Coming Off

Voting for FISA. Supporting faith based initiatives. No quick withdrawal from Iraq. Supporting gunowners' rights and capital punishment. These are all conservative Republican positions. These are all positions Obama has leaned toward since defeating Hillary Clinton and clinching the needed delegates for the nomination.

Obama is not a Republican. He is still a far better choice than McCain. It is natural for a candidate to move toward the center (whether s/he's a Dem or a Rep) after the primary process is over. But Obama has gone too far.

What turned me off more than anything else was not a position or stance he took on a vital domestic or foreign policy issue. It is his decision to allow his kids to be interviewed by Access Hollywood. This is a real poor decision on a number of levels. And because it is a sit down interview, making the decision cannot be attributed to a gaffe or a momentary lapse in judgment. He had time to accept or deny the request for an interview. He had hours, if not days, to cancel the interview after he realized that it was a bad idea.

I'll probably still vote for the guy. But my enthusiasm is gone. I will be taking my bumper sticker off my car. I will stop donating to his campaign. The honeymoon is over. The luster is gone. He is human. He is a politician.

On second thought, she wasn't soooo bad.

CKY

No comments: