Monday, February 18, 2008

The Duel: Down Memory Lane

This weekend, I watched The King of Kong, a documentary about an underdog who rose from the ashes like a phoenix and proved to everyone that he was a gentleman and a scholar, with a heart beneath his vest.

In watching the movie, filled with nostalgic sequences of arcade classics like Q-Bert, Tron, Centipede, and Donkey Kong, I am reminded of one of my favorite 80s computer game, Test Drive II: The Duel. It pitted a Ferrari F40 against the Porsche 959, the supercars du jour.

At the time, I thought the game overall, and the graphics and sound in particular, were at the pinnacle of 20th century technology. How could it possibly get any better than this?




Here is a clip of The Duel on the Amiga. Mind you, on my pathetic Tandy, the sound and graphics were worse than this!



And this is what we have to look forward to in Gran Turismo 5, 19 years after The Duel:



I can't wait.

CKY

No comments: